Thursday, August 9, 2007

Statement

Ok, I was trying to refine this a bit before going public, but the kind folks at My Ninja Please tossed a link my way so here it is. My name is Ed Weinberg, I'm a 26 yr old creative type living in Philly for the past 40 days. I write, dj, cut my own hair. I'm at a cafe right now in Center City called the Last Drop, and I feel comfortable here. They're playing an old torch song and the fans are humming.

I chose the name Riot in East Egg for a sense of revolution I'm trying to foster, in myself if nowhere else. I've done some things in my life -- I dug for pyramids in Bosnia, hitchhiked from Berlin to Paris, knocked out a couple of issues of a rad magazine in New York City -- and I know that these things are my true calling. Accomplishments, always changing focus. Not the day job I have 17 minutes to get to.

So I'm trying to accomplish something here, every day. This is something like a public journal, and I hope you like it. One of my favorite concepts is the lattice Dave Eggers goes on about in A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I hope this small riot can contribute in some way to this energy, something strong enough to overcome apathy and the sad directions of the world.

No comments: